The Joint Market Surveillance Action on HARmonized Products 2018 – JAHARP18 – is a 28-month EU-co-funded project comprising two product-specific activities relating to:
- Recreational Crafts Directive (jet skis and small inflatable boats) and
- Low Voltage Directive (portable room heaters).
11 Market Surveillance Authorities from 9 European Union Member States join forces to build upon common experience, optimise the use of resources and develop common tools for checking the conformity and safety of the products concerned.
The project is co-funded by the European Union and coordinated by PROSAFE.
The project also includes a number of cross-cutting/horizontal activities aiming at maximising the expected impacts of JAHARP18, while maintaining and improving methods and best practices on market surveillance and knowledge transfer.
The Joint Action aims to raise the level of market surveillance in the product areas concerned, thereby contributing to a more uniform application of the rules set out in the applicable EU harmonised legislation.
In particular, JAHARP18 aims to:
- Survey the state of compliance and safety in the internal market for recreational craft and low voltage electrical appliances;
- Identify and deal with non-compliant products, ensuring that unsafe products are brought into conformity or withdrawn from the market;
- Reduce the risks of accidents, thereby improving the protection of the health and safety of European consumers;
- Reduce unfair competition resulting from the presence of non-compliant products on the market;
- Raise awareness among manufacturers, importers, distributors and other concerned stakeholders about the problems identified on the market, with a view to ensuring a durable improvement of the level of compliance and safety of the products concerned;Raise the profile of market surveillance in general.
Involved in the Recreational Crafts Activity: Bulgaria, Finland, France, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, and Sweden. Switzerland shall participate in the Joint Action as an observer outside the financial scheme.
Involved in the Portable Room Heaters Activity: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, Malta and Sweden.