PROSAFE has coordinated various specific market surveillance activities dealing with toy safety within the European Economic Area, co-funded by the European Union. In view of the importance of this sector, PROSAFE has engaged to coordinate a new joint market surveillance activity on toys every year as from 2014 onwards:
- TOYS 1 was a project which started at the end of 2008 and finished in 2011. It mainly dealt with toys intended for children under 3 years of age. 15 authorities from 13 Member States took part in this activity, with the main focus being small parts in toys and migration of heavy metals.
- TOYS 2 is part of a larger project called JA2013. Again the main focus of this activity has been on toys intended for children under 3 years of age, with special attention on small parts, migration of heavy metals and phthalates. It started in February 2014 and finished by the end of 2015.
- TOYS 3 – Acoustic toys is the main focus of this third market surveillance activity on toys and is also part of a larger project coordinated by PROSAFE called JA2014. Testing took place in line with the latest amendment in acoustic testing as per European Standard EN71-1:2011+A2:2013. It started in July 2015 and finished in June 2017.
The Activity also produced a Guideline for Assessment of Risks from Acoustic toys to provide guidance to market surveillance authorities in assessing the risk nfrom acoustic toys that emit too high sounds. It covers the 11 types of acoustic toys from the standard. in around two years’ time.
- TOYS 4 - Chemicals in Plasticized Toys is yet another project focusing on Toys as part of JA2015. 17 Member States are participating in this activity. Four main toy groups are focused upon:
- plastic dolls
- inflatable toys
- plastic books and
- bath toys & squeezable toys
The toys were mainly analyzed for the following chemicals: Phthalates, Short Chain Chlorinated Paraffin (SCCP), Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons(PAH), Bisphenol A (BPA) and migration of lead, cadmium and organic tin in line with EN 71-3:2013. The results of this activity can be found in the Final Technical Report. The project will end around the first quarter of 2018.
- TOYS 5 - Eletrical Toys is another project related to Toys as part of JA2016. 15 Member States are involved in this product activity. The project will end in September 2019.
E-Learning on TOYS – A special e-Learning module on toys has been developed by PROSAFE. This gives an overview of the Toys Safety Directive 2009/48/EC - with particular attention to toy safety and market surveillance. All e-Learning modules, including one on risk assessment, are freely available. For further information click here.